Thursday 29 April 2010

Avatar 2

I was reading something a couple of days ago about Avatar 2 being lined up for 2014, also to be directed by James Cameron, and equally as pricey, only this one will explore Avatar land..what is it? Navi? Pandora? Well it'll explore the oceans and underwater of NaviPandora I just checked and it's Pandora!I was more a fan of the creativity and technology and just how pretty the film was rather than anything else but the idea of an underwater one has sucked me in, I'll be going. Just as an afterthought I got thinking about how I'll be 26, and almost 30, then. Pfft.

However Avatar, and Avatar 2 and 3, can't beat my favourite film of last year, and what I think is, maybe, the best stop-motion animated film I've seen, Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr Fox. I'm a big Wes Anderson fan, Bottle Rocket, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, Rushmore..all of them! Plus, I do like the soundtrack, in particular, Mr Fox in the Fields. I suppose, if you know me at all, it could be described as a silly kate song but I could listen to it forever. I heard there were rumours about Cate Blanchett voicing Mrs Fox but in the end it was Meryl Streep. Good, Cate Blanchett can cuss off.
Wes Anderson might not be everyone's thing but I think the way he works is pretty commendable and it must be a dream to be directed by him. He had the actors record their dialogue on location to make it sound more natural, sending them in to attics, forests, underground and all sorts as well as inspiring the look of the film on Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire, where Roald Dahl used to live and work, which I thought was a nice little touch. They also got busy recreating Mr Fox's study to look exactly like the inside of the garden hut in which Roald did most of his writing.

Some other snippets about the film..
Fantastic Mr. Fox was the first book Wes Anderson ever had. His mum bought it for him when he was about seven and he kept it on his bookshelf ever since.

Mr. Fox's wardrobe was based on Wes Anderson's own brown corduroy suits.

The inspiration for naming the character Kristofferson came from singer, songwriter and actor Kris Kristofferson, not only because Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach like his work, but also simply just because they liked the name. 

The titles and text used in the production design are in Helvetica Bold when all of his previous films have used Futura Bold.

In the film Mr Fox recites the Latin names of each animal, only he doesn't know the one for an opossum. It's Didelphis marsupialis!

No comments:

Post a Comment